Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Linux is coming...


I have finally had it with Windows. I am getting tired of all the errors and the general lack of control I have of my own computer. First, there's the blue screen of death (you know..."An error has occurred"). Why doesn't Microsoft just say the &*%$ed up your computer? Second, I often get "dynamic library" errors while running Windows Media Player. When I try to stop USB devices, I am often told that it cannot be stopped because a program or application is using it, even when I have manually closed down as many Windows tasks as I can without freezing the computer. Also, Windows crashed on me recently when coming out of hibernation and messed up my web browser so bookmarks don't work. Today I wanted to open my DVD drive to take a BLANK disc out, but Windows would not let me because an application was supposedly using data on the BLANK disc. I have backed up all my personal files and have checked availability of the applications I use for Linux.

I will likely have Windows XP removed within the next week. I am going to install the Ubuntu version of Linux, which should make my life easier. The only drawback for me is that I will be a "newbie" to Linux. I have lived most of my computing days with Windows (versions 3.11, 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP Home, and XP Pro). I have little to fear though. Once I start using it and familiarize myself with it, I'll forget the name of that Redmond company. My understanding of Linux with be about the same as most people's understanding of Windows.

Most flavors of Linux have a GUI, so it is similar in ease of use with menus, tabs, etc. The difference is that the software is open source...no $200 fee to Microsoft whenever they decide to change their operating system (which is coming soon). Also, the majority of software for Linux is open source and is of no cost to users. The best part is, because the programs are not proprietary, anyone and everyone can work on the code to make them better and more secure. With proprietary software (most of the software you purchase for your Windows system), the company doesn't want just anyone poking around the programming. Therefore, you don't have a collaboration of people working to find and fix flaws. Also, with big company, big flaws can be quite costly so they may never disclose just how bad they are. With open source software, this is not the case. You can find open source software for any system, but the fact that Linux is open source says a quite a bit about the potential for better stability and security. I'll now step off my soap box for now. I will update you on how the crossover to Linux is going.

1 Comments:

Blogger rosemania said...

Get a Mac Man!!!

21:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home