Monday, March 13, 2006

Why Women Don't (Usually) Barbecue

My family loves the barbecue. Occasionally, I will pick up some nice tri-tips, trim them up a bit, add some seasoning salt and throw them on the grill. Even my daughter, who is a picky eater, loves the meat, as long as I don't over season it for her. In fact, last night I used the BBQ to do just that. My wife bought a steak tonight and was contemplating whether to use her George Foreman Grill (which tends to leave the meat dry) or use the big grill. After stepping her through the basics on the phone (since I am, of course, in Corvallis) all was going well. A short time later, I received a frantic phone call telling me that flames were coming out the front of the grill, and asking what to do. Not being able to see the goings-on for myself, I calmly told her to turn the gas off, which did not go over well. With more frantic conversation ensuing, I told her to grab the fire extinguisher from the garage and use it (which she did quite well, judging from the picture). All is calm now, but apparently, my grill was engulfed in flames and the knobs are no longer existent. This is a good time to ask who decided to use plastic when making grills? Anyway, this is what's left of the grill. I am obviously going to get a new one for the summer so we can start grilling again. I love my wife, and she knows I am only giving her a hard time, but this is why the grilling should be left to the men. In my family, I know this won't be a problem. She doesn't even want to own another grill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home